Confusion on what career to follow is very common. At times people have a job but are not satisfied and happy with their career option. On the other hand it is possible that one is not clear if one wants to take up a job or start their own business. Even those who wish to start their own business at times don’t have a clear idea how to go about it.
At this moment it is a very good idea to take a look at your strengths and your interests. It is very important to like what you are doing in order to give it your full potential and then ultimately be successful.
Let’s take a look at a few business ideas that can set the ball rolling:
- Providing services: the service industry is booming nowadays. People are always on the lookout for plumbers, carpenters, electricians to help in doing the odd jobs around the house. This career option needs knowledge in that particular field. Basic knowledge in repair services can help one pursue this career. Being a mechanic is also a good option for someone who is interested in cars.
- Beauty and fashion: providing beauty treatments either from your own home or by going to client’s house is another good option for a skill based career. Basic knowledge in beauty treatments and a pleasant personality is required to be successful. Designing and stitching clothes from the house is another low investment business option.
- Knowledge based: as the previous business options were more inclined towards skilled knowledge people with book knowledge can also have their own business. You can start book keeping, auditing, accounting for other business. You need to have a degree in accounting for this.
Starting a business is not a very difficult option to earn a living. But you need to realize that everything in life comes only when you work hard for it and are honest in your dealings with yourself as well as your customers.
Growth in the economy can be measured when there is an increase in the GDP. Many forces are responsible in economic growth.
Measures that can be taken to increase growth in the economy include tax rebates, deregulation, tax cuts, infrastructure spending.
How can we use infrastructure to increase economic growth? Spending on infrastructure is when the government spends for building or for repairing the structures and facilities that the society uses as a whole. If the infrastructure of a country is good it is directly proportional to the betterment of the countries growth. Better infrastructure helps in increasing productivity. A very good example for this is that when the roads and other modes of travel are in perfect working order the citizens spend less of their time in travel and can spend more time at work.
Can we use regulation to stimulate the economy? Regulation is when the rules along with regulations are relaxed. These are the regulations and rules that are imposed on any business or industry by the government. If the rules are very restricting they tend to choke the industry and businesses slowing production and thus the repercussions can be seen in the measurement of the gross domestic profit of the country’s economy.
Tax rebates and cuts: tax cuts are a way of putting money back in the hands of the consumers. Consumers spend their money at organizations, businesses, vendors, services. Tax rebates allow the consumer to get back a portion of the money spent. This helps in stimulation of the economy within itself.
The economy of a country is proportional to the well being of the citizens of the country. If the citizens are happy and content this means the economic growth is on a high. If the citizens are not getting their basic demands fulfilled it shows the lack of economic growth as well as a decline in the resources of a country at times.
A career that involves customer service is a very good option. Studies have shown a huge increase in customer service careers. The correct set of skills can offer you a huge job opportunity and also growth in your professional career.
A sample of the different career options has while working in customer services:
- Call center executives: working as a call center executive doesn’t require special education or any particular degree or diploma. You just need to have a pleasing personality, be good at solving problems and be able to communicate with the customers. The job involves talking to the client, replying to the inquiries either on the phone or through mail. You need to be able to effectively communicate with the client, respond and solve the customer’s issue.
- Concierge: working as a concierge or on the front desk of a hotel is an ideal career option for anyone who loves working with people. The job of the concierge entails for him to make sure the stay of the guest in the hotel is most comfortable. The concierge also helps with booking for activities, arranging transportation and in a nut shell making the stay of the guest in the hotel most relaxing and comfortable.
- Customer relations: client relations are done by those employees that can maintain and better relations with the clients of the company. This relationship is based on whether the client is happy and satisfied with the services that are provided to them. Customer satisfaction is of utmost importance.
- Receptionist: a receptionist is the face of the company. A receptionist can effectively build the reputation of the company. It is important for a receptionist to have good people skills. They should be able to handle people and situations.
A candidate eligible for a career in the service industry has to have excellent communication and listening skills. They should be good at problem solving, documenting and conflict resolving.
Starting a business can be a very daunting experience for a lot of people. Is it not easy to start a small business especially if you don’t have a big budget?
It is always a good idea to start a business in an area that is of your interest. If you have knowledge about a particular skill or if you have certain personality traits that are conducive to a certain service it is very important to look in these areas first.
Let’s take a look at some personality traits and skills that one can have to start a business:
- If you like to be hands on: if you like to use your hands and are not afraid to get them dirty business and career options of being a plumber, carpenter, mechanic , electrician are good options for you. These options require a rudimentary knowledge of the skill. Maximum knowledge comes from hands on experience.
- Motivating people: if you are a people’s person and are good in motivating and influencing people there are a lot of career options for you. You can become a fitness trainer, giving personal training to people to keep healthy. This can be done by coaching people in some sport or giving them fitness advice. Another option is being a counselor. Life coaching is needed by a lot of individuals. Being a nutritionist or dietician is also another option that can be looked at.
- Writing skills: if you are good in writing, having a strong hold over grammar and can express yourself in words a career in writing is perfect for you. Freelance writing, authoring e books, content writing is a few options for you. You can also become and editor or can proof read transcriptions or scripts. All this can be done from the comfort of your own home.
Starting a business has its own shortcomings. But if you enjoy what you doing there is a twofold benefit in you earning a living as well as getting job satisfaction.